President Carmona Receives Death Threats

Views: 1442
The Petty Room

Security agencies are on high alert after receiving death threats on the life of President Anthony Carmona, National Security Minister Edmund Dillon said yesterday.

At approximately 11 am the anonymous death threat was received by the Police Command Centre last Sunday. The male caller, claimed to be from the “army,” and threatened the life of the President and “all ah dem.” They also stated they were “waiting by the Savannah to offload shots for the President.”

The caller further threatened to “bomb” police stations across the country.

Dillon said that the security agencies were continuing to monitor the situation and investigations are underway.

“And we continue to ensure the security of the head of state. The Defence Force and Special Branch have been informed accordingly, through the Police Commissioner and Chief of Defence Staff and are taking the necessary action,” Dillon added.

Police, who have procedures to respond to all manner of threats, “moved appropriately” when the threat was received on Sunday, sources said.

Following that development, a senior Special Branch official met with the President for a half-hour meeting at his office just before noon yesterday, officials confirmed.

The Office of the President confirmed that information had been received from the Police about a threat being made on the President’s life very recently. The office also confirmed Carmona met with a “high-ranking police officer” yesterday morning, but they could shed no light on that.

This is the first time since serving as President since 2013 that President Carmona has ever received a threat of this nature. However, when Carmona was a High Court judge a death threat had been made against him around 2011, when he had been dealing with a high profile case involving a known Central gang leader. That person was killed last year. Carmona had been given security when the threat was received.

President Carmona’s tenure as president will end next year.

Under the Anti-Terrorism Act (section 21), it is an offence to knowingly communicate false information of an explosive or toxic device, or a weapon of mass destruction. This carries a maximum penalty of up to 15 years imprisonment, Government has said.

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *